- The Human Development Index (HDI) (composite index measuring a long and healthy life, knowledge, and a decent standard of living).
- Sub-indices within the HDI: The Education Index and The Gender Inequality Index.
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capita.
- Size of Economy.
- GNI per capita and percent growth in GDP per capita.
- Economic Complexity Atlas.
- The Economist reports on the Middle East and North Africa.
- CIA World Factbook: Type of government (autocracy or monarchy), significance of oil reserves, number of political parties. permitted in each country, nature of the countries’ legislative bodies (elected or appointed).
- Freedom House country rating: civil liberties, political rights, and overall freedom.
- 2016 Corruption Perceptions Index from Transparency International.
- 2016 Global Peace Index Score from the Institute for Economics and Peace.
- Internet users (per 100 people) (World Bank).
- Mobile cellular subscriptions (per 100 people) (World Bank).
- Internet users, percent population penetration, and Facebook statistics (Internet World Stats).
- Internet and Smart Phone use by age, Pew Research Center report (only available for Palestine, Jordan, and Israel).
Impact of civil society:
- The number of newspapers as listed on Arabic Media website.
- Civil Society Impact.
- Arab Barometer.
Economic reporting tools:
- Doing Business Report (World Bank).
- Women, Business and the Law (a new report that tracks data on laws and regulations constraining women’s employment and entrepreneurship) (World Bank).
- Index of Economic Freedom (Heritage Foundation).
- Women at Work Trends 2016 (International Labour Office) (PDF 4,947 KB).
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) provides country, risk and industry analysis, across 200 countries worldwide.